Need help getting started? View our tutorials below on how to properly set up and best utilize your Budget Badger application!
Add Your First Account
It’s best to add an Account with a positive balance first so that you can budget it into an Envelope.
- Click Accounts to navigate to the Accounts page. This icon is located on the bottom menu of mobile and tablet devices or located in the the left hand menu for use on a desktop.
- On the Accounts Page, there will be a + icon at the top of the page, click that to add a new Account.
- Fill out the form to create a new Account including the Name of the account as well as the current balance.
Add Your First Envelope
- Click Envelopes to navigate to the Envelopes page. This icon is located on the bottom menu bar of mobile and tablet devices or located in the left hand menu for use on a desktop.
- On the Envelopes Page, there will be a + icon at the top of the page, click that to add a new Envelope.
- Fill out the form to create a new Envelope, this will include creating a new Envelope Group that this Envelope will belong to.
Budget Your First Envelope
- On the Envelopes page, swipe on the existing Envelope and press the Edit icon. You may also click on the Envelope to open the Envelope Overview page and you’ll see an Edit icon at the top of the page. This icon allows you to edit the Envelope.
- Change the Amount on the Envelope Edit page to budget a portion of the To Budget amount towards the selected Envelope.
- You should see the amount that you budgeted to that Envelope is now removed from the To Budget amount.
Add Your First Transaction
- From the majority of pages, you should now see a button above the bottom menu bar called Add Transaction. Click that button which will take you to the New Transaction page so that you are able to enter in a new Transaction.
- To Budget – The money that you have left available to budget for the current month.
- Past – The money that is leftover from previous months, this could be a negative or positive amount depending upon overspending and under-spending money from previous months. Tap the arrow to the left of the To Budget to display.
- Income – The money that you’ve entered as either Income for this month or Buffer from the previous month. Tap the arrow to the left of the To Budget to display.
- Budgeted – The money that has already been budgeted in the current month. Tap the arrow to the left of the To Budget to display.
- Over – This should ideally always be zero, but sometimes life happens. This shows the money that has been overspent from an Envelope in the month or previous months. Tap the arrow to the left of the To Budget to display.
Envelopes Overview Page
- Remaining – The money left to spend out of this Envelope.
- Past – The money that is leftover from previous months, this could be a negative or positive amount depending upon overspending and under-spending money from the previous months. Tap the arrow to the left of the Remaining to display.
- Activity – The money that has been spent out of this Envelope in the current month. Tap the arrow to the left of the Remaining to display.
- Budget – The amount budgeted this month into the Envelope. Tap the arrow to the left of the Remaining to display.
New/Edit Envelope Page
- Name – A description for the account.
- Group – The Envelope Group that this Envelope belongs to. Used mainly for grouping similar envelopes on the main page.
- Amount – The money that should be allocated to this Envelope from the To Budget amount in the current month.
- Don’t Ignore – Any overspending will show up in the Over amount of the Envelopes Page for the current month and the budget will reflect this overspending.
- Ignore – Will ignore and carry over overspending for the month that’s being edited. If overspending occurs in this Envelope in this moth, the negative balance will be reflected on the Envelope next month. The To Budget amount will not reflect this overspending in the current month but will in the next month.
- Always Ignore – Will ignore and carry over overspending for all months. Any overspending will be reflected in the envelope but will not be reflected in the To Budget amount.
- Notes – Any information you would like to include about this envelope.
- Quick Budget – A preset list of options that attempts to help make budgeting easier. We will provide several intuitive options depending on the current balance of the envelope. You may choose from Last Month Activity, Last Month Budgeted, Average Past 3 Month Activity, Average Past 3 Month Budgeted, Average Last Year Activity, Average Last Year Budgeted, and Balance (which will help you get your balance to zero).
- When adding an account with a negative balance, a Debt Envelope will be automatically created that contains the debt balance of the account.
- Over time, the goal is to get the Debt Envelope balance to $0 by budgeting money from the To Budget total into it.
- Any interest charges or more debt will need to be budgeted to the Debt Envelope so that it can track how much debt is actually attributed to that account vs what spending you have budgeted for.
- Once the Debt Envelope has reached $0, it is automatically hidden in future months until a debt balance is brought back
- Net Worth – Shows the total value of all accounts which includes Budget and Reporting type accounts.
Accounts Overview Page
- Balance – The current total of the account including any pending charges.
- Pending – The current total of all pending transactions. Tap the arrow to the left of the Balance to display.
- Cleared – The current total of all cleared transactions. Tap the arrow to the left of the Balance to display.
- Payment – The calculated amount that is owed on the account. This is only meant to assist you in determining how much your payment should be when there is a pre-existing debt on the account like a credit card or line of credit. Tap the arrow to the left of the Balance to display.
- This Payment dollar amount includes the amount of budgeted spending from this account plus the amount that has been budgeted toward the accounts Debt Envelope to pay it down.
New/Edit Account Page
- Name – A description for the account.
- Budget – An account that will be included in the To Budget amount to budget into Envelopes. Accounts such as checking, savings, credit cards, or cash.
- Reporting – An account that is only used to track the money in it and will not be included in the amount to budget. Accounts such as savings bonds, loans, etc.
- Balance – When creating a new account this will be the starting balance of what’s currently in the account. When editing an account, this will just reflect the current balance of the account and will not be editable.
- Notes – Any information you would like to include about this account.
- Statement Date – The date that you are trying to reconcile to, this is typically the date printed on the statement.
- Statement Balance – The amount that you are trying to reconcile against, this is typically the balance printed on the statement.
- Difference – The gap between the statement balance and the cleared balance of the account up to the statement date.
- Dropbox Cloud Sync allows you to synchronize the same budget to multiple devices.
- To enable Dropbox Cloud Sync, go to the settings page and click the toggle next to Dropbox.
- Login to the Dropbox account that you’d like to use for synchronizing your budget between devices.
- Now repeat that process for any device that you would like to share the same budget, be sure to use the same Dropbox account between devices.
- Syncing happens in the background after all saves as well as on startup. If you don’t see a change from another device, you may need to restart the app to force it to sync at which point it the changes should show up.